Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Colon Cleansing Scams

I want to say that this post does not state that all colon cleansing products are scams. In fact, I am sure that many of them are good. I have no method of testing them. All I know is that a good colon cleansing program does not 'just' increase the size and frequency of stool. The real gunk - the stuff that causes disease - is black and a gooy green. It is so awful looking that I refused to include pictures. If you seriously want to know what the 'bad' stuff looks like, then take a trip on the web and find out for yourself.

Most colon cleansing programs use fear, and promise more stools. But, they don't actually say they will clean the colon.

The only 'product' I will be using is Metamucil. That is right - the fiber drink/pills that lowers cholesterol. If you go here and read Mike's comment, you'll see that he has good results using organic juice and psyillium.

I am not saying that all these products are scams. What I am saying is that you don't need to take these products to cleans your colon.

My husband has been doing most of the research on the programs. Many of them are little more than laxitives. Others expect the user to drink so much water that it can be argued that the water is doing the work.

His main concern was the number of products that had alarming disclaimers, did not let people know how much of the herb was in the product, or was made outside of the USA. I was as suprised as he was and found this colon cleansing warning article The source for this article is the Mayo Clinic. I do want to post an excerpt as a warning:

A list of medication that does not mix well with herbal supplements is:



  • Blood pressure medicines;

  • Blood thinners (anticoagulants, anti-platelet agents; nonsterioidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen;

  • Diabetes medications;

  • Drugs that affect the liver;

  • Heart medications;

  • Monoamine Oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)


    The following is a list of herbal supplements that may possibly produce harmful effect when used in combination with certain types of medications:

  • Black cohosh

  • Dong quai

  • Ephedra

  • Feverfew

  • Garlic

  • Ginger

  • Ginkgo

  • Ginseng

  • Goldenseal

  • Milk thistle

  • Scotch broom

  • St. John's wort

So - can I answer the question 'scam or effective product?' Not really. I have done natural colon cleansing and used herbs, fruits and grains to detox my body. I haven't used the products. I haven't found any product where the negative comments out number the positive ones.

No comments: