Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Reduce Stress - Find the Right Credit Card


It is the end of the month, and we are paying of 2 credit cards that my husband obtained without my knowledge. This was stressful enough, both on our friendship and his health. Secrets can cause the body to self destruct. In fact, the UK Credit Charities post reports saying this is not an uncommon problem.

However, one of those cards is a financial nightmare. The interest rate was low for the first six months. Then, there was a high fee if we chose to leave. More fees for not spending on the card every three months. Fees for not making the minimum balance. In fact, there are so many fees that we have come to accept the fact that the credit card company will tack $80 to our monthly bill, whether we pay on time or not.

One of the most important things to do is find the 'right' credit card. They are not all the same. The first thing I look for is fraud protection. Not all the big credit cards offer this. I also look for charity and sports club credit cards which let me support my favorite charities when I shop. The third thing I look for are the interest rates, and how they are combined.

I look for fraud protection first, because I've already been hit by someone trying to use my card number for an online purchase. My current card automatically 'locks' if someone makes a mistake with my pin number, tries to exceed my balance, or spells my name wrong. I can use my computer to connect with my account and reactivate my account.

No comments: